John Apostolakis (JA, chairman), Michel Maire (MM), Maria Grazia Pia (MGP), Gunter Folger (GF), Vladimir Ivantchenko (VI), Andrea Dell' Acqua (ADA), Katsuya Amako (KA), Takashi Sasaki (TS), Makoto Asai (MA), Dennis Wright (DW), Joseph Perl (JP), Aatos Heikkinen (AH), Peter Gumplinger (PG), Richard Mount (RM), Pete Truscott (PT)
Ecole Polytechnique: Marc Verderi (MV)
CERN: Gabriele Cosmo (GC),
RM reported that SLAC, CERN, Helsinki [CHECK!] and Lebeden all support the new CA giving 12 FTEs. The critical threshold at which the CA comes into effect is 15 FTEs. RM has written to collaboration membership to encourage others to sign and also be appropriately represented on the Oversight Board (OB).
There was a discussion on the mode of transition from the current manner of business to that under the new CA. The current CB is in favour of a three-month period between when the CA comes into effect and the election of the OB is finalised. Discussion of the TSB examined the merits of a transition from the current TSB to a Transitional Steering Board (also with the development of an Transitional OB). JA stated that amongst the many issues, the Transitional SB should address candidate G4 S/W licences.
The CB recommends a review is conducted of the Geant4 software and process as soon as possible. The review will most likely be held in Europe, and an action has been accepted by CB members as to who might form the review panel.
DW and AH were welcomed to the TSB in their new roles as the Hadronics Working Group Coordinators.
JP requested a slight modification to the minutes of the last meeting, which he provided by E-mail. Otherwise, pending comments from people who were able to attend the TSB, the minutes of the last meeting were approved.
GC has been putting together a provisional reference tag within the past few days, which is subject to testing. These include changes required for CLHEP 2.0. Support for CLHEP 1.9 will be maintain, but support for CLHEP 1.8 will be dropped.
Migration for stringstream3 [CHECK] is required. The primary change is to <global>. It is recommended that the transition should be discussed and agreed within a Category Coordinators meeting or teleconference.
JA reminded members that during release 7.1, a change was introduced to the release tag two weeks before the full release which produced significant reliability issues. Therefore such changes are strongly discouraged.
ACTION: JA to organise a short teleconference, and once candidate tag is in place, tests should be fed back to JA and Physics Performance Group
JA recommended that TSB should identify those areas where tasks taken on by Collaboration should be maintained in the Transitional SB (e.g.: status of paper to be published; database management), and identify people who would act on behalf of the collaboration. We need to evolve from a list of current TSB members to SB members, and consequently those who are not developers will not have a role. However, it was proposed and agreed that members of the current TSB form the Transitional SB from the day new CA comes into effect.
ACTION: JA to announce when signatories to the new CA met or exceeded the 15 FTE threshold.
One of the action items for the future is how the voting for the chair and deputy chair of the SB should be conducted. If the SB meets (3 months after the new CA comes into effect) nominations should then be made and electrons held for these posts.
ACTION: JA has undertaken to produce a draft letter on behalf of the CB to providers of data libraries used in G4.
It was recognised that the collaboration needs to expand the web-site for physics lists. Physics lists should be centralised web-page and reflect key examples.
There is a proposal for solving problems with boolean geometries from John Allison and Evgueni Tcherniaev. They are currently available to undertake this work, but require funding for 1 man-years effort.
TS, on behalf of KEK, offered the TSB the opportunity to take over the geant4.org website, either to become the key web-site for the Geant4 Collaboration or at least a mirror to geant4.cern.ch. Members present expressed their gratitude for KEK’s offer, and were favour of geant4.org being used in such a manner.
There were discussions surrounding Hans-Peter Wellisch’s status and contribution to G4 development, and a question from one or two members of the TSB as to whether JPW had fully resigned from the TSB and Collaboration. If he no longer wishes to be involved with the maintenance and development of the software, then his name should be removed from the list of collaborators and CVS access changed.
ACTION: JA to write to JPW to enquire and clarify the latter’s status with respect to the G4 collaboration. Also JA should determine JPW release/copyright conditions for code submitted by JPW.
ACTION: DW and AH to clarify what has been submitted and tagged by JPW since 1st May 2005.