The Geant4 Software License
Established on 28 June 2006 for Geant4 release 8.1, subsequent patches and releases.
Previous releases are covered by the disclaimer included in the release. Copyright Holders of the Geant4 Collaboration.
Last revision: 28 June 2006
The collaboration has established the following list of institutions and individuals who hold copyright of parts of the Geant4 toolkit. In case there are attributions missing, the collaboration invites potential contributors to inform us of their contribution and who holds copyright over it, by writing to email@example.com
- Bath University, Bath, UK
- Budker Institute Nuclear Physics, Novosibirsk, Russia
- Budapest Technical University, Budapest, Hungary
- California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, USA
- CERN, European Organization for Nuclear Research, Geneva, Switzerland
- CIEMAT, Madrid, Spain
- CNRS-IN2P3, Institut National de Physique Nucleaire, France
- ESA, European Space Agency
- ETH, Zurich, Switzerland
- Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, Batavia, USA
- Helsinki Institute of Physics, Helsinki, Finland
- IHEP, Protvino, Russia
- Imperial College, London, UK
- Institut fur experimentelle Kernphysic, Karlsruhe University, Karlsruhe, Germany
- Instituto de Fisica de Cantabria, Santander, Spain
- INFN, Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare, Italy
- IST National Institute for Cancer Research, Italy
- Jefferson Laboratory, USA
- JINR, Dubna, Russia
- J. W. Goethe-Universität, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
- KFKI Research Institute for Particle and Nuclear Physics, Budapest, Hungary
- Laboratório de Instrumentação e Física Experimental de Partículas (LIP), Lisbon, Portugal
- Lebedev Institute, Moscow, Russia
- Manchester University, Manchester, UK
- MIT, Massachussets Institute of Technology, Cambridge, USA
- Moscow Engineering Physics Institute (State University), Moscow, Russia
- Northeastern University, Boston, USA
- Pittsburgh University, Pittsburgh, USA
- Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK
- Southampton University, Southampton, UK
- Stanford University (for SLAC, SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory), Stanford, USA
- Tampere University, Tampere, Finland
- TRIUMF, Vancouver, Canada
- University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- University of California, Santa-Cruz, USA
- University of Cordoba, Cordoba, Spain
- University of Maryland, USA
- Centre For Medical Radiation Physics (CMRP), University of Wollongong, Australia
- Akinori Kimura
- Eri Suzuki
- Glenn Horton-Smith
- Harm Fesefeldt
- Hisaya Kurashige
- Hajime Yoshida
- Kotoyo Hoshina
- Katsuya Amako
- Koichi Murakami
- Makoto Takahata
- Makoto Asai
- Masayasu Nagamatu
- Marcus H. Mendelhall
- Kaz Minamimoto
- Robert A. Weller
- Shunji Sei
- Satoshi Tanaka
- Yasuhide Sawada
- Toshiaki Kodama
- Tetsuya Yamada
- Tsukasa Aso
- Takashi Sasaki
- Youhei Morita
Version 1.0, 28 June 2006
Copyright (c) Copyright Holders of the Geant4 Collaboration, 1994-2006. See http://cern.ch/geant4/license for details on the copyright holders. All rights not expressly granted under this license are reserved.
This software includes voluntary contributions made to Geant4. See http://cern.ch/geant4 for more information on Geant4. Installation, use, reproduction, display, modification and redistribution of this software, with or without modification, in source and binary forms, are permitted on a non- exclusive basis. Any exercise of rights by you under this license is subject to the following conditions:
Redistributions of this software, in whole or in part, with or without modification, must reproduce the above copyright notice and these license conditions in this software, the user documentation and any other materials provided with the redistributed software.
The user documentation, if any, included with a redistribution, must include the following notice:
“This product includes software developed by Members of the Geant4 Collaboration (http://cern.ch/geant4).”
If that is where third-party acknowledgments normally appear, this acknowledgment must be reproduced in the modified version of this software itself.
The names “Geant4” and “The Geant4 toolkit” may not be used to endorse or promote software, or products derived therefrom, except with prior written permission by firstname.lastname@example.org. If this software is redistributed in modified form, the name and reference of the modified version must be clearly distinguishable from that of this software.
You are under no obligation to provide anyone with any modifications of this software that you may develop, including but not limited to bug fixes, patches, upgrades or other enhancements or derivatives of the features, functionality or performance of this software. However, if you publish or distribute your modifications without contemporaneously requiring users to enter into a separate written license agreement, then you are deemed to have granted all Members and all Copyright Holders of the Geant4 Collaboration a license to your modifications, including modifications protected by any patent owned by you, under the conditions of this license.
You may not include this software in whole or in part in any patent or patent application in respect of any modification of this software developed by you.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE MEMBERS AND COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OF THE GEANT4 COLLABORATION AND CONTRIBUTORS “AS IS” AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE ARE DISCLAIMED. THE MEMBERS OF THE GEANT4 COLLABORATION AND CONTRIBUTORS MAKE NO REPRESENTATION THAT THE SOFTWARE AND MODIFICATIONS THEREOF, WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY PATENT, COPYRIGHT, TRADE SECRET OR OTHER PROPRIETARY RIGHT.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
THE MEMBERS AND COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OF THE GEANT4 COLLABORATION AND CONTRIBUTORS SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY FOR DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES OF ANY CHARACTER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES, LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF CONTRACT, WARRANTY, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), PRODUCT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
This license shall terminate with immediate effect and without notice if you fail to comply with any of the terms of this license, or if you institute litigation against any Member or Copyright Holder of the Geant4 Collaboration with regard to this software.