K. Amako, J. Apostolakis, M. Asai, G. Cosmo, G. Folger, V. Ivantchenko, J. Perl, M.G. Pia, S. Sadilov, T. Sasaki, D.H. Wright
Minutes of previous meeting
To be prepared soon.
- 32.6: John will appoint someone to create a list of Geant4 journal
- 32.7: Creating a draft of the scientific goals of the collaboration: open
- 33.2: Category coordinators to include a publication plan in working group plans: open
- 34.2: Provide release coordinator with acknowledgements and information about data libraries used by Geant4: done, closed
- 34.7: Provide portal to physics lists recommendations: open
- 34.8: open
- 35.1: establish task force for investigating data issue: open
- 35.6: Adding a physics list chapter in Users Guides: open
- 35.7: closed
- 37.3: write a letter to providers of data libraries asking what form of acknowledgement should be given: open
- 37.4: request to H-P. Wellisch to remove geant4.com web page: sent, but no response so far - close item
- 38.1: Collect volunteers to edit paper on physics configurations: open
- 38.2: open
- 38.3: open
- 38.6: closed
- 38.7: Distribute a set of guidelines for those who wish to add to contribute to the new Geant4 web pages: will be done in one or two days - item closed
- 39.1: open
- 39.2: open
- 39.3: Dennis will distribute license text for NJOY program: item closed
Oversight Board: minutes of the most recent meeting are now available
- New chair of board: Petteri Nieminnen nominated, nominations still open
- Next Geant4 review to occur in earlu 2007: topics are physics
- Steering board should give feedback for dates - need a mandate from Oversight Board
- New license endorsed by O.B.
Collaboartion Meeting and Workshop
- J. Perl, M. Verderi and A. Heikinnen nominated for program committee. This committe met and posted minutes in Steering Board agenda
- Two options for users sessions (one day):
- invited local speakers only
- open, expanded, user session - this one is preferred
- One day on validation verification
- Possible themes for meeting:
- computing performance
- software quality
- Propose the above structure to local organizers, then announce the date of the meeting. Deadline: July 20th
Topics discussed so far at organizational meetings:
- Need to promote more intra-collaboration communication
- Currently the annual workshop is the best means of communication - is one per year enough?
- Are there concrete goals which should be part of the coming and future workshops?
- The role of workshops:
- encourage more information flow, such as work being done in various groups
- encourage new participants
- identify key work areas
- push forward in these areas by getting people together
- give exposure to newer/younger members
- Validation in different fields should be made known
- What information should be communicated?
- scientific activity
- long term or strategic goals of collaboration
- How to work with outside users and projects
- Cross-functional teams have been suggested for such things as documentation, validation, or temporary tasks that may arise. How would these work?
- Steering Board
- Need timely, open sessions of steering board
- Invite non-board members to attend as cases arise
- Minutes should be posted in one week or less
- voluntary open posting of text version of SB agenda to be replaced by open posting of SB minutes
- improved audio is required for virtual meetings
- Need for transparency
- Need agreed upon, understood goals
- Detailed discussion of this topic set aside for later
Credit for Developers
- visibility within collaboration
- an understanding of what is contributed by members
- credit should be awarded or acknowledged for service work which does
not have high visibilty (plumbing). This work could include:
- system testing, documentation, the work done on cuts per region, etc.
- acknowledgement in published papers is one way to recognize such work
- raising the profile of the job would also help
- need someone to monitor service contributions
- presentations at international conferences
- How to decide who delivers Geant4-wide talks at conferences?
- It was agreed that a group of experienced people be delegated to apportion talks according to circumstances, the number of talks the proposed speaker has given, and speakers’ experience.
- presentations at virtual conferences not enough to encourage younger members to participate
- publication of papers
- need to have publication management/promotion/writing support team to push papers through the publication process, insure planning and quality of papers, and target the appropriate journals
- Need to encourage or require publications
- check and compare to publication rules of large experiment collaborations
- What defines a Geant4 paper?
- The word Geant4 is in the title or a key part of the abstract, and the paper is written by a collaborator
- Geant4 is a major part of the paper
- it was agreed to form a publication and writing support team with a leader to have a steering board seat. This does not at this time include referreeing. Ask for volunteers based on their publication experience.
- The license has been adopted. All but a few of the 24 copyright holders have responded. Many institutions have responded (all positive).
- The failure to comply clause as currently written could be abused - re-write it so that license is not voided if there is non-compliance
- All future contributions to Geant4 will be under the new license
- After talking with CERN lawyer, the following points were made:
- There should be signed agreements for outside contributors
- On the download page there should be a “click to agree” button that must be hit before Geant4 code can be downloaded
- Geant4 could be either a work in collaboration or in joint ownership - it was decided that work in collaboration was preferred
- The elastic bug should be announced on HyperNews. A tar file of fixes should be provided until a patch comes out.
- A bug in QGSC physics list was discovered - meet to decide what to do about it.