March 21st, 2017
Present: Makoto Asai, Marc Verderi, Alberto Ribon, Dennis Wright, Soon Yung Jun, Alex Howard, Sebastien Incerti, Vladimir Ivantchenko, Ivana Hrivnacova, Gunter Folger, Laurent Garnier, Andrea Dotti, Ben Morgan, Francesco Romano (Luciano’s deputy), Gabriele Cosmo, Takashi Sasaki, Koichi Murakami
Excused: Luciano Pandola, Hisaya Kurashige
- Regular items
- The open requirements, pending actions, status of long open bug reports, as well as physics and computing performance monitoring are reviewed.
- The use of Bertini above 9 GeV seems to have some memory consumption problem. Investigation is underway.
- Energy coverage of standard EM physics for Nightly tests is extended to 100 TeV.
- 2017 work plan and release schedule
2017 work plan is publicized and it will be presented/discussed at the coming Technical Forum
Release schedule of minor release 10.4
Beta release on June 30th
Development tags for inclusion should be proposed by June 2nd
Public release on December 8th
Release procedure will be revised to prevent development tags to come during release phase. Details will be announced later.
- Physics validation strategies
- DoSSiER (FNAL DB) is now being filled. Focus is on experimental data being used.
- MicroSoft Azure cloud will be added for G4 validation jobs (process level and cross-sections)
- Issue for hadronics: Chi2 or other metrics are weak when there are very large differences between data and MC (as often is the case). We are thinking on how to develop a strategy to be more “objective” in understanding which model is “best” (eg. use pull-plots, more statistical goodness-of-fit methods, “blind” analysis)
- Memory test becoming routine
- Documentation overhaul
- Discussion on documentation overhaul is In progress, two meetings held (https://indico.cern.ch/category/8935/)
- Restructured text (ReST) preferred over markdown in the first instance
- Sphinx and git likely to be the final solution (vs. current docbook, latex, svn, cvs)
- Prototype migration will be carried out by the beginning of April
Effort needed for proofreading and correcting issues (~1200 pages)
- Whole collaboration effort.
5.1. Near future events
Next Technical Forum is scheduled on March 23rd
Oversight Board meeting is on March 21st
12th Geant4 Space Users Workshop, April 10-12, 2017 @ Guildford, UK
- > 50 attendants
Final reminder will be sent, registration closed by end of this month
LPCC Detector Simulation workshop on 26-27 June at CERN.
Overlap with some HSF meeting in Annecy
CHEF (Calorimetry for High Energy Frontier) 2017 - October 2-6 at Lyon, France
Meeting dates hard to accommodate with Geant4 collaboration meeting.
- one day short G4 tutorial (in Vietnamese) followed by a one day user workshop (in English) at Ton Duc Thang Univ. in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 15-16 June 2017, web page ready, 1st time in South East Asia (Hoang, Sebastien) (https://indico.in2p3.fr/event/14067/)
- Beginner course in Alghero (4-9 June 2017). Pablo, Luciano, Francesco, as a part of the “14th Seminar on Software for Nuclear, Sub-nuclear and Applied Physics” organized by INFN-LNS and University of Sassari. Expected 35-40 students.
- Short geant4 tutorial at the TRISEP:Canadian summer school which is organized by SNOLAB, TRIUMF and Perimeter University on July 10-21. 2017 edition host by SNOLAB, so there will be a focus on underground physics.
Orsay Tutorial: Ivana, Laurent, Marc
- IN2P3 CNRS + Doctorants Univ. Paris-Saclay: 15th - 19th of May
- Might be followed by tutorial for companies in June (12th -16th )
Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - 12:00