Public minutes of 108th SB meeting on May 7th, 2018
Present: Makoto Asai, Marc Verderi, Koichi Murakami, Ben Morgan, Soon Yung Jun, Dennis Wright, Alberto Ribon, Alex Howard, Gunter Folger, Vladimir Ivanchenko, Susanna Guatelli, Gabriele Cosmo, Luciano Pandola, John Allison (OB Liaison), Ivana Hrivnacova
Excused: Sébastien Incerti, Hisaya Kurashige, Daren Sawkey
1. Regular items
- The open requirements, pending actions, status of long open bug reports, as well as physics and computing performance monitoring are reviewed.
- The recent reference tag (ref04) shows significant performance
degradation (5-7%) in most samples compared to the previous
reference tag (ref03).
- Investigations are ongoing.
2. Spokesperson election
- Candidate nomination : Wednesday March 14th through Wednesday
- One candidate proposed - Makoto Asai
- Mail to Steering Board for endorsement sent on March 29th
- 14 responses from SB members, over a total of 22, hence overpassing the threshold of 50% requested.
- All positive
- Election phase: Tuesday April 10th through Tuesday April 24th
- 95 votes - more than the quorum (2/3 of 131 collaborators = 87)
- 94 yes, 1 no
- Candidate nomination : Wednesday March 14th through Wednesday March 28th
- The Steering Board endorsed the election process
- Makoto Asai is confirmed to serve as the Spokesperson for two years.
- He appointed Marc Verderi as Deputy Spokesperson.
3. 2018 release schedule
- Assuming that 2018 release is a minor release, the following target
dates are agreed for Geant4 10.5:
- Beta release : June 29th
- Public release : December 7th
4. Git migration
- The migration is targeted to happen immediately after the beta release.
- Follow: https://gitlab.cern.ch/geant4/geant4-git-migration/issues for ongoing updates etc
- Volunteers to help with this migration are welcome, as the manpower on this task is quite limited.
5. 2018 Collaboration Meeting
- Program committee membership is endorsed.
- Paul Gueye, Jonathan Madsen, Luciano Pandola
- Pico Luis Sarmiento, Xiao Xiao Cai - local organizers
- Makoto Asai, Marc Verderi - ex-officio
- Preliminary Indico page : https://indico.cern.ch/event/727112/
- Registration is expected to start in mid May
6.1 Recent events
- Joint WLCG & HSF Workshop 2018,
Napoli (Italy), 26-29 March 2018.
- Geant4 medium and longer term R\&D, and application of biasing for HEP presented by Marc Verderi
- Physics evoutions presented by Farah Hariri.
- 47th Technical Forum at CERN, 10 April 2018
- Training course at TUM-Munich (16-20 Apr).
6.2 Near future events
- ICHEP 2018,
Seoul (Korea), 4-11 July 2018.
- One oral presentation is accepted.
Sofia (Bulgaria), 9-13 July 2018.
- Four abstracts are submitted. They all are accepted for poster presentations.
- 23rd Geant4 Collaboration Meeting, Lund University, Lund (Sweden),
27-31 August 2018.
- Preliminary Indico agenda : https://indico.cern.ch/event/727112/
- Third Geant4 International User conference at the Physics-Medicine-Biology frontier,
29-31 October, Bordeaux, France
- Abstract submission is open.
- 2018 IEEE/NSS/MIC,
Sydney (Australia), 10-17 November 2018.
- Abstracts submission deadline May 9th.
- 13th Geant4 Space Users Workshop, Houston, Texas, USA. 28-30 November 2018
- Geant4 tutorial supported and organised by The Doctoral School PHENIICS, Universite Paris-Saclay, LAL Orsay, 14-18 May.
- Geant4 Course at the 15th Seminar on Software for Nuclear, Sub-nuclear and Applied Physics, Porto Conte, Alghero (Italy), 27 May - 1 June, 2018.
- Geant4 tutorial at U. Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA, 25-27 June 2018
- 7th International Geant4 Tutorial, KIRAMS, Seoul, 9-13 July 2018. Organised by KISTI, NCC & KIRAMS.
- Geant4 short course at the next African School of Physics - Namibia
Monday, May 7, 2018 - 12:00