Public minutes of 113th SB meeting on March 6th, 2019
Present: Gabriele Cosmo, Alberto Ribon, Dennis Wright, Hisaya Kurashige, Sebastien Incerti, Makoto Asai, Marc Verderi, Soon Yung Jun, Ben Morgan, Koichi Murakami, Laurent Garnier, Ivana Hrivnacova, Luciano Pandola, Francescso Romano (Susanna’s deputy), John Allison (OB Liaison), Daren Sawkey, Vladimir Ivantchenko, Alex Howard
Excused: Susanna Guatelli, Gunter Folger
1. Regular items
- The open requirements, pending actions, status of long open bug reports, as well as physics and computing performance monitoring are reviewed.
- To make a better tracking of bugs and requests, it is reminded that if a bug report is not an actual “bug” but more a request for new feature, then the bug status has to be turned as “announcement” and not classified as “INVALID”. Assignees are asked to add comments accordingly when changing the resolution.
- A ~5% degradation is observed in the last reference tag, but this comes with no change in the numbers of steps nor tracks. Various fixes have been introduced in this reference tag and will be investigated.
2. 2019 work plan
- The 2019 work plans have been reported by each working group and reviewed. These work plans are published on the web in the Working Groups pages. Collaboration-wide development items will be summarized and posted on the web soon.
- The Technical Forum on March 29th will include discussions on this proposed work plan.
- Decision of whether next release would be major/minor will be made by the Technical Forum.
3. Git migration
- Merge request inspection by category coordinator will be activated shortly.
- Please make use of the “Bug” label for a Merge Request to mark fixes that should be back-ported to previous release(s).
- Pull requests on GitHub from users will be notified to the
corresponding working group coordinator(s) for their review. If
accepted, the pull request has then to be ported across to a GitLab
- A simple “CONTRIBUTING” guide for users for requests on GitHub use has been provided.
4. Replacing HyperNews system
- The HyperNews system hosted at SLAC will be ceased due to the maintenance difficulties of this old system. The Discourse system will be used instead, it will take over within a few months and will likely be hosted at CERN. Existing posts on the current HyperNews system will be preserved.
5. Potential collaborative efforts with GATE collaboration
- A discussion on strengthening Geant4-GATE relation for physics validation is under development, and a proposal will be sent to the OpenGATE collaboration shortly.
- The new GATE liaison is Sébastien Incerti transferred from Marc Verderi.
6.1 Recent events
- ‘The Monte Carlo Technique in Action for Medical Physics’, Central Commissioned Training Program for Medical Physicists 2018/19, Hospital Authority of Hong Kong, 21-23 Feb 2019
6.2 Near future events
- Oversight Board meeting, 28 March 2019
- Technical Forum, at CERN, 29 March 2019
- 2019 work plan will be discussed.
- ENSAR2 workshop: Geant4 in nuclear physics, at CIEMAT, Madrid (Spain), 24-26 April 2019
- Geant4 Visualisation and User Interface Mini-Workshop, Hebden Bridge (UK), 6-9 June 2019
- 2019 Collaboration Meeting, Jefferson Lab, VA, USA, 23-27 September 2019
- 14th Geant4 Space Users Workshop, Korinthia (Greece), 20-23 October 2019
- Geant4 Advanced Course, at CERN, 26-27 March, 2019
- Geant4 tutorial in Orsay, 13-17 May 2019
- Geant4-INFN School in Alghero. Geant4 Course at the 16th Seminar on Software for Nuclear, Sub-nuclear and Applied Physics, Porto Conte, Alghero (Italy), 26-31 May 2019.
- Geant4 Tutorial for applications in medical physics, MCMA, Montreal, Canada, 17-21 June 2019.
- Geant4 tutorial, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, 3-5 July 2019
- Geant4 tutorial and users workshop, Daejeon, Korea, 18-22 November 2019
- Geant4 School (beginners and advanced users) and Monte Carlo workshop for medical physics, University of Wollongong, 2-8 December 2019
Wednesday, March 6, 2019 - 12:00